These 5 concepts, crucial for any mining & metals investor, took me years to learn and master.
I'll teach them to you in 15 minutes:
1/6 Once a mining company reports a resource, things shift.
Basically, it all becomes more 'real'.
Work and investment bump up certainty.
And resources are great! But reserves are better…
(PS: you'll typically pay more for reserves)
2/6 Geologists go deep into deposit types because let's face it, they love geology.
Investors don't need as much detail.
But we do need to know whether a gold deposit we are researching is epithermal or sedimentary.
To start, you need a general understanding of it all
3/6 Once a deposit has resources (inferred and higher) the race to put a value on the whole thing speeds up.
Enter the 'economic studies'.
Will give markets a valuation and interact with resources/reserves.
Each type has a different timeline, effect on the company and costs.
4/6 Juniors are (almost) always drilling their projects.
(and we want them to!)
Each type of drilling has a different goal, cost and objective.
Differentiating will help you know what to expect from the results and infer what could be coming.
5/6 And finally, if you're still here, let's talk about the sector's life cycle.
You can enter for a lifetime or a season.
But to do so in the most effective way, you want to know where in the cycle your investment is.
This will help align with your expectations.
6/6 That's a wrap!
Getting clear on these basic concepts will help you invest more confidently. Certainly helped me!
Resources or reserves?
Which deposit type is it?
Any economic studies?
Drilling techniques used?
Where in the lifecycle?
Bookmark this for easy access.
If this was interesting or useful to you, please retweet the start of the thread.
Follow me @paola_rojas for commentary on metals, markets and tech.
Originally tweeted by Paola Rojas 🐝 (@paola_rojas) on December 2, 2022.
If you enjoy my content for investors and are ready for more, start here:
- Want to continue learning? Here are some of our favourite books: https://paolarojas.blog/books/
- Investing? We use TradingView for analysis and portfolio tracking. Give it a go: https://www.tradingview.com/?aff_id=112842
- Australian investor? We use Sharesight to keep our trading and reporting running smoothly. Give it a try: https://portfolio.sharesight.com/refer/FFX12
- Keen on more books and things we love? see this Amazon list: https://www.amazon.com.au/hz/wishlist/ls/1DQMOC6SL75PS?type=wishlist&ref=cm_wl_list_create&relatedRequestID=MX514FZRNBCD27PGRBQE&_encoding=UTF8&tag=explorationfo-22&linkCode=ur2&linkId=5dfa0a029c50790b7efadabe867f7258&camp=247&creative=1211
- Need a flexible data management solution with strong automation capabilities to make your life easier? We use Airtable to store our research, content and more. Give it a try: https://airtable.com/invite/r/jQlnrhuf
- Need or have visuals? We use Shutterstock for our stock image needs, including investment reports plus socials. Give it a whirl: https://submit.shutterstock.com/?rid=266100898
- Keen on blogging? We use WordPress for this website. Give it a try: https://wordpress.com/refer-a-friend/0N0n3ZGTjkoRONXmZEeb/
- Seeking to improve your YouTube and other media reach? We use TubeBuddy to better tailor our keywords. You can give it a try for free: https://bit.ly/2LIvFHZ
Disclaimer: Our content may contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a commission on products or services you buy. We only recommend products and services we use and love, so rest assured our opinions are unbiased.